Friday, March 28, 2014

Discovering Barnard

Name: Sarah Kim
Class Year:
 
2017 (First-Year)
Hometown:
 
Manalapan, NJ
Major:
 
Economics and Social History
Jobs/Clubs/Organizations:
 BSAR, SGA (First-Year Class VP), Emerging Leaders Program
.
Congratulations on your acceptance to Barnard College! This is such an incredible achievement and you should all be very proud of yourselves. You can breathe now… no more SATs/ACT, applications, supplements, etc. You can do your happy dance; come on, I know you all have one!
 
Now, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sarah Kim, a first-year student and the class vice president. I always describe my discovery of Barnard as one of those things that is highly unexpected but you can’t imagine life without it now. During the summer before my junior year, I was granted the opportunity to attend a summer enrichment program for high school students at Columbia. There, I befriended a Barnard professor who introduced me to the College. As I walked through the black iron gates for the first time, I immediately fell in love with the school and I could vividly picture myself as a Barnard woman. I visited dozens of colleges afterwards, but none of them gave me the warm, fuzzy feeling inside that I had when I set my feet on Barnard’s campus.
.
That summer, I developed a tangible goal, and I cannot be happier to have the honor to say that I achieved it. December 14, 2012 was definitely one of my greatest days of my life; it was the day when I realized dreams really do come true and the acceptance letter was a testimony of it.
.
Looking back at my first year at Barnard, I honestly could not have asked for anything more. Sure, I have had my fair share of hard times, like pulling an all-nighter at Butler Library and completing what seemed like an impossible amount of work. But those can’t measure up to the amazing friends I have made, important lessons I have learned (both in and outside of class), and doors that have opened before me. I cannot wait to see you all embark on this incredible journey and be with you through this blog for the next couple of weeks. Please, feel free to ask me anything in the comment section below!
.
Cheers,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment