Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Barnard's Strong Sense of Identity



Name: Lizzie Thompson
Year: 2011 (Alumna)
Hometown: Paradise Valley, Arizona 
Major: English with a concentration in Creative Writing 
Clubs/Organizations: Columbia University Dance Team, Orchesis, Senior Interviewer, Senior Fellow 
Current Occupation: MFA student (Fiction Writing) at Sarah Lawrence, Graduate Intern in the Barnard College Office of Admissions



Like many applicants, I initially looked at Barnard because I wanted a school with a strong dance program that also offered dancers the opportunity to explore other interests (just like Margeaux!). What made Barnard the perfect match for me though, extended beyond the ballet barre. 

Students compete at the Barnard Greek Games
Barnard’s strong sense of identity and community is what immediately struck me when I first visited campus, and stuck with me over my 4 years at school. It was the only college I visited where there was a palpable feeling of warmth, community, pride, and encouragement on the campus: in the student body, in the classroom, everywhere. I loved how I could be an individual, not just another face in the crowd. Education extended far beyond the classroom: professors knew me by name and class dinners at professors’ apartments were not uncommon. Barnard is so much more than just the name of the school -- it’s an identity that has stayed with me long after I left campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment