Thursday, March 27, 2014

Hints that Barnard was "The One"

Name: Marquita Amoah
Class: 2016 (Sophomore)
Hometown: Bronx, NY
Major: English
Clubs/Organizations: Barnard Organization of Soul Sisters (BOSS), Barnard Student Admissions Representative (BSAR), Barnard Babysitter. Intern at a NYC-based fashion company. 

I like to tell people that Barnard was my first choice before I knew it was my first choice. My college application process was very democratic in the sense that all of my colleges were good fits for me, but Barnard was working its magic early on. There were a few hints that Barnard was the place for me. Let me elaborate: 

Down time in Union Square Park
Hint #1: The summer before my senior year, I worked very close to Morningside Heights. I used to take lunch breaks and use them to walk through Morningside Park and up onto Columbia and Barnard’s campuses. I would walk around examining and testing out the area. But guess what: I hadn't even decided at that point that I wanted to apply to either college. My body was just drawn to the area.

Hint #2: During August before my senior year of high school, I started my Barnard application. It was a hot day and I was sitting next to my mother on the bed as she watched TV. She asked me what I was typing because I looked so happy; I told her I was writing my application to Barnard. The questions were so interesting and I enjoyed answering them so much that my mother could see it in my smile. It was the first college application I completed.

Hint #3: I came to visit Barnard in October of my senior year and had an amazing experience. I had an excellent and met two really cool girls and hoped they would get into Barnard with me. (I had amazing confidence!)

With two of my closest Columbia friends since day one.
Hint #4: The admissions officer of my area called me saying she was missing a paper from me and we ended up talking for twenty minutes about my school. It was amazing!

March 23rd 2012: I got into Barnard!!! Yay! When I called the admissions officer to tell her that I got in, she said she was ecstatic and that she knew Barnard was great for me. I accepted my admission the next day.

Hint #5: When I came to visit Barnard it was also open house for Columbia as well. Remember the two girls I spoke about earlier? Well when I was at a talent show held for all the prospective students of the university, I saw the two girls. They immediately recognized me and told me that they were going to Columbia College. I told them I was going to Barnard and we all jumped in joy! Up to this day, they are two of my best friends.

Barnard was the place for me before I even realized it. It found a way to allow me to make connections and feel welcomed before I enrolled. No other college did that for me. Barnard is the place for me and I hope it is for you too!

At this year's Kwanzaa Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment