Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Best of Both Worlds

Name: Maria Victoria Velez
Class: 2016 (Sophomore)
Hometown: Newnan, Georgia
Major: American Studies
Clubs/Organizations: Hispanic Scholarship Tutoring Chair, Columbia University Students for Human Rights Secretary, Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity, Heights to Heights Mentor

My name is Maria and I am a sophomore at Barnard College.  Coming from a rural town in Georgia, it was expected that I would go to a state school in the south or, if I wanted a private school, a place like Emory or Duke.  However, my aunt, a Barnard alumna, told me that if I applied to Barnard, she would pay for all of my college applications, so (of course) I applied. 

Barnard's First Year Foundations courses
are limited to Barnard students
When I got in I was so excited because I knew how competitive it was, but I was having trouble deciding between Barnard and a Southern school.  When I first walked onto Barnard’s campus as a prospective student, however, I knew that this was the place for me.  I was immediately struck by the fact that Barnard truly offered the best of both worlds: its connection with an Ivy League institution offered a vast amount of additional resources and opportunities, while its small, all-female campus allowed for a cohesive and communal feel. 


I have no doubts that I made the right decision in coming to Barnard, and I am so excited to guide new students into deciding to come here as well!

A few of Columbia from Barnard's campus


No comments:

Post a Comment