Friday, March 28, 2014

From Rivers and Mountains to the Big City

Name: Chloe Hawkey
Class Year: 2016 (Sophomore)
Hometown: Oakland, CA
Major: American History
Clubs/Organizations: Columbia University Ballet Ensemble, Hiking Club, BSAR, New York Cycle Club

Hey everyone, I’m Chloe, and I’m a sophomore who transferred to Barnard in the fall. I spent my freshman year at a very small school in rural Washington. Moving away from home was a challenge—as it nearly always is—but in general my freshman year was wonderful: I made intelligent and passionate friends, I had some great classes, and I became comfortable living on my own. But I came to realize during winter break that I felt a little too comfortable, a little bit like I was settling into what happened to be convenient rather than striving for what I really wanted. Upon realizing this, I realized something else: I only have four years of college, and they are neither inexpensive nor unimportant ones. They are the only four years of my life that I know could be dedicated to academic/ intellectual/ nerdy (pick your adjective!) pursuits. In other words, I could not afford to sit still and watch things happen.
 
So I reapplied, and yes, it was just about as gnarly as the first go-round. I won’t bore you with too many more details, but I will tell you that September found me in Morningside Heights, confronting the wonder, excitement, and challenges of living and going to school at Barnard. I could not be happier: I have found friends who are every bit as enthusiastic about school as I am, professors who are brilliant and welcoming and supportive, and libraries and books enough to keep even the biggest nerd happy. Beyond all else, though, the intellectual climate on campus is exactly what I was hoping for. People here want to learn, and they are willing to bend over backwards to make that happen.

So now, part two of my post: the challenges of being a rivers-and-mountains kind of girl in the big city, where Central Park is the extent of the great outdoors. (Feel free to skip this if that sounds like a good thing to you!) I am, essentially, an outdoorsy type. I went on my first backpacking trip at one month of age, and I’ve been hiking, biking, rafting, kayaking, and snow-camping with my family and friends ever since. I rely on nature to maintain my sanity (I’m writing this from rural Vermont, where I am visiting a friend for spring break).

Rafting on the Main Salmon River in Idaho (My Natural Habitat)
I would imagine that some of you feel similarly and are struggling with whether you want to spend the next four years living in such a big city, so let me offer some of my thoughts. The first is this: it is possible to get out of the city on weekends. The Metro-North train stops at 125th street, and can take you to the wilds. Columbia also has a hiking club that will drives groups out of the city for day hikes, and a whitewater kayaking club that will take you on weekend trips to local rivers. 

Columbia Hiking Club

But I have found myself surviving (even thriving!) staying within New York City. For one thing, I am too busy (so many books!) to spend more than a few minutes dreaming of rivers. One of the first things you learn in college is how to construct a life for yourself here—what classes, clubs, friends, coffee shops, and trips downtown you need to feel fulfilled—and part of that is finding new ways, at least for the time being, to fill the time that you no longer fill doing _____. This may be a challenge (for me it certainly was), but aren’t we all in college to be challenged, to try new and difficult things? I knew when I transferred that I wanted to stretch myself and this—along with incredibly challenging and exciting courses and brilliant friends and classmates—is just one more way I get to do that.

Thanks for reading, everyone, and if you have any questions or comments—on academics, comparing schools (I’m something of a pro at that by now), or awesome boating stories—feel free to leave them below. And best of luck with this decision!

 

9 comments:

  1. Hello. I would be moving from far away as well (Alabama) if I were to attend Barnard. Can you talk about what that process was like any tips you may have. Do you ever get homesick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm not sure if a longer post on this is in the works, but I can definitely say a few words about homesickness. For one thing, as soon as you're going to school far enough away from home that you can't go home every weekend, it doesn't particularly matter where you are. For example, last year I was much closer to home than I am now--but I still didn't go home my first semester. Obviously, things like the proximity to other family (I have some family in upstate NY, though I didn't in Washington) and the possibility of people visiting you matter.

      But there is something else you should bear in mind: homesickness happens, and it is pretty awful, and...it goes away. I'm quite the homebody, and I was pretty unhappy at the thought of moving away from home. But I also realized that it was an inevitable part (at least in our society) of growing up, and everyone goes through it and comes out the other side pretty happy. As I mentioned above, after a little while--and certainly by your second semester-- you'll make a life for yourself here. It won't feel exactly the same as your life at home (and I miss that one sometimes too), but you'll feel comfortable. You'll have places to study (Joe coffee, Butler library), places to eat (John Jay dining hall, Westside Market), friends to meet, and adults you can talk to (professors are the bomb!). I promise: it all works out in the end. In choosing a school, try as much as you can to focus on what kind of life you can create for yourself at school, rather than simply trying to replicate your existing life. This is your chance! Best of luck,
      Chloe

      Delete
  2. Hi Chloe! Thank you so much for posting this! I am an international student from Ecuador, and just like you I have grown up surrounded by nature. Although I LOVE the idea of attending Barnard I was thinking "Where am I going to find that nature-connection in NYC?" Now I feel a lot better after reading about your experience! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adriana, glad I could help! Feel free to be in touch if you have any questions in the future!
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just got back from the Barnard Open House. I am from rural New York, not a huge outdoorsy person but definitely a fan of nature. Barnard was my first choice, until I got there and felt very out of place. Everyone was eclectically dressed and had no interest in sports or fitness like I do. A good percentage of my fellow Prospies were from NYC or another city and were in their element while I wasn't at all. My other choice is Bowdoin in Brunswick, ME. I felt very comfortable there, but like you I am worried that I might be so comfortable that I don't challenge myself. I was prepared to stretch myself at Barnard because of the amazing opportunities there, but now I am thinking that I would need to be comfortable to really grow, but you can't be very comfortable to grow! very confusing for me. If you have any advice, let me know!
    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man, Maddie, that sounds like a tough decision! I hear you on both counts: there is a fine balance between stretching yourself and feeling totally left out. Obviously, you have to be the one to figure this out in the end, but I can offer a few thoughts:
    1) There is definitely a wide range of people here, from super stylish, interning-at-JP Morgan types to Chaco-and-Birkenstock-wearing, art history majors, and everyone in between. And the Columbia-Barnard community is big enough that you can definitely find your people here somewhere.
    2) Unlike in high school, in college, students tend to be very accepting. Maybe you already know this, but I sure didn't so I'll expand slightly. I was one of those nerdy children who thought that I couldn't hang out with cool kids. It turns out that in college, those distinction pretty much only exist in your head. So those "eclectically dressed" prospies could definitely turn into very good friends.
    3) One of my parents' friends once told me that she believed all West coast children should go East for school and vice versa. It's a different culture, and when else are you going to explore it? It will open your mind to a whole other way of living--quite a valuable kind of understanding in our increasingly connected world. Though you're not thinking of moving across the country, it seems to me that the same logic applies. When else would you live in NYC?
    4) All of that said, however, you are very right about feeling comfortable on campus. My high school history teacher pointed out that though it is very hard for a 17-year-old to know what she will want to study in 4 years, it is quite possible for her to figure out where she wants to live for those 4 years. This is going to be your home for a while, so you want to make sure you choose it carefully. Don't feel like you are somehow taking the easy way out by choosing a school that feels better to you. But also remember that it takes a while to start to feel at home in any new place--for me, both this year and at my previous school, it took the better part of two semesters. So don't think that one weekend sets the tone for your whole undergraduate career.

    Ok, on that...uplifting (?) note, I'm going to sign off. Super good luck with this decision, and feel free to be in touch if you have any more questions/ thoughts/ concerns. If it works out in Barnard's favor, I look forward to seeing you around next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was exactly the insightful advice I needed...to make this decision even harder! What do you think (honestly) are the pros and cons of Barnard?

      Delete
  6. I can imagine. I'm going to see if I can find a way to give you an email address, so you can contact me that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I have checked with the authorities, and I've been told I can just give you my email. It's cih2112@barnard.edu. Send me an email, and I'll get back to you with my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete