Saturday, March 29, 2014

My Home Away from Home

Name: Margeaux Miller
Class: 2016 (Sophomore)
Hometown: Yuma, Arizona
Major: Biochemistry
Clubs/Organizations: Barnard Dance Department, Orchesis

I first learned about Barnard when I was looking for schools that would allow me to continue studying ballet seriously, but would also challenge me academically. Since I started at Barnard last year, the dance department and community have become another home for me, far away from my home in the Southwest. I’ve been able to take dance classes with fantastic teachers and also see discounted performances around New York City through programs at Barnard. I love that there are all different levels of instruction and that students have a variety of different interests in dance. A number of my friends, who aren’t trained dancers, have also had great experiences within the dance department, whether that be an African dance class or a beginning ballet class.  

One of Barnard's multiple ballet studios.
Outside the dance department, I love the enthusiasm that Barnard students share about this community. I’m so grateful for Barnard's school spirit, which stems from things other than sports, like Big Sub and Midnight Breakfast. This sense of community is something I was seeking in my college experience and has been very different from my high school. I’ve even seen firsthand how this excitement and love for Barnard extends to alumnae. Last summer, I happened to sit on an airplane next to a Barnard alumna. We didn’t have all that much in common beyond our association with Barnard, but she was so excited to share her Barnard experiences with me, and I was more than excited to hear and learn from her.   

I was ecstatic when I found out I had gotten into Barnard, and I think a little part of me knew at that moment that I had already made my decision about where I wanted to go to college. Barnard was a place that was entirely new and exciting for me, which was exactly what I wanted. My first day on campus was invigorating, and also a little overwhelming. But I thought about the day I found out I got into Barnard, and remembered how I felt then. I felt so accomplished knowing that someone else thought that I belonged here. The friendships I’ve made and the ways that I’ve grown, through the classes I’ve taken and experiences I’ve had here, assure me that I made the right choice in choosing Barnard.   
Some friends and me on the roof of the Diana Center for a Constellation event last spring

No comments:

Post a Comment