Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Top 5 Dorm Essentials

It’s never too early to start thinking of what to bring with you to college! I remember I started making my dorm room checklist several months before I actually moved in. Although it is super fun to shop for posters, bed spreads, and funky decor, I now realize that I had overlooked some practical items while I was deciding what color pillow ase to get. I have compiled a list of 5 essentials that may seem obvious or not, but living without them would be a struggle.

1.      Flip-flops (plus a spare pair): I love being barefoot. In the summer, you will rarely see me in shoes. But, trust me, you don’t want to be barefoot in the communal showers in the residential halls. Even though our wonderful facilities team cleans all of the shared bathrooms daily, it is inevitable that they will get dirty throughout the day, especially because many people utilize the spaces. Wearing flip-flops is just sanitary. Also, bring an extra pair because it is common for flip-flops to rip apart and it is hard to find a pair for a relatively low price (the Columbia ones are cute, but it can be expensive, especially if you’re just going to use them in the bathroom). 

2.      Area rug: It’s just nice to stand up on something warm and fuzzy when you wake up in the morning. Pick a fun color or design. It’s going to be one of the first things you’ll see in the morning, and it’s always good to start the day off with something cheerful. The rug might even become your motivation to wake up for an 8:40 class.

The area rug in my dorm
3.      Water heater and instant food/coffee/tea: It’s 3am and you have four more pages to write of your resource paper… you need a little snack and a caffeine boost, and everything is closed. Stock up on the instant mac n’ cheese packages and tea/coffee bags because there are going to be some of those nights (hopefully not too many).

4.      First aid/medicine kit: I usually don’t get sick so I completely overlooked the importance of having OTC cold medicines on hand. Well, I got sick for the first time in college during reading week (which is the period before finals saved for studying), and it was snowing out. Just my luck. You don’t want to go out to the pharmacy when you’ve got a raging fever. Also, small things like Advil, Tums, Band-Aids, tissues, and cough drops come in handy.
.
My first aid collection
5.      Anything that will maximize storage space: The (only) thing Barnard lacks is space. Get bins to put under your bed, hangers that can hang multiple pieces of clothing, hanging shoe rack, etc. Be creative! Click here for an awesome Seventeen article on tips for expanding dorm room space. 


Your room will come with either a closet,
or some kind of armoir like this.
Hope this helps you make your dorm room checklist!
 
 
P.S., Don't forget photos...

No comments:

Post a Comment