Wednesday, April 30, 2014

How am I different because of Barnard?

This is the question I’ve been pondering as I attempt to write this final blog post. Ultimately, you want college to be a place of learning and growth, and the inevitable consequence is that it sort of molds or shapes the person you become. It’s somewhat difficult to separate the “shapings” that came directly from Barnard and those that would have happened naturally as I grew from an 18-year-old to a 22-year-old.  But I do know that being at Barnard gave me a big push in the right direction towards becoming who I am today, and who I want to be in the future.

Crossing broadway for the class of 2012 Commencement
A combination of general shyness and an overactive blushing reflex made me a very quiet high-schooler.  Asking questions in class was a rare occurrence for me, and usually resulted in me turning twelve shades of red and wanting to crawl under my desk and never come out.  I don’t know what it is about Barnard (maybe something in the water?), but I found myself growing taller in the metaphorical sense.  My mind-talk went from “Oh, I have nothing to contribute to this conversation,” to jumping out of my seat during seminar classes because I just could NOT wait any longer to talk.  At Barnard, I learned to speak confidently and intelligently, and I realized even if I turn red (which I still do), I just need to keep talking.  And raise my hand again next time.



A view from my awesome seat at Commencement
Barnard has also shaped me in another very real sense: I was awarded a fellowship at the NIH largely through the recommendation of a fellow Barnard alumna.  I met Roxanne at a reunion event and she encouraged me to apply for a grant through the NIH’s Intramural Research Training Award program.  I ended up being placed in her lab and have had an amazing experience.  Roxanne is still very involved with all things Barnard – we went together to hear Debora Spar speak when she visited DC on her book tour.  I know my experience is not uncommon.  The network you find yourself in upon graduation is endless, and there is a special connection among Barnard women. 
.
If you are still on the fence about Barnard, I encourage you to think about who you want to be when you graduate.  Barnard has a magical way of fostering confidence, intelligence and fortitude in its students… I’ve seen it happen to myself and so many of my classmates.  If that is what you are looking for, don’t be afraid to take the leap.  I can’t think of a better place to grow.
.
Wishing all the best to the class of 2018!
.
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment