Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Women's College Difference



Last semester, I took a basic survey class at Barnard that covered American history up until the Civil War. This is the kind of class that tends  to focus primarily on the experience of white males, so I went in with fairly low expectations of inclusivity. 

But the class ended up surprising me. Professor Sloan, one of Barnard’s wonderful history professors, went out of his way to mention the contributions of women, people of color and other generally marginalized groups. At one point, he even said, “This class has been fairly heteronormative so far, and I apologize for that,” which is not something I ever thought I would hear in a basic survey class that covers the beginnings of American history.

(Side note, coming to Barnard means that you too will soon be able to use the word heteronormative in casual conversation!)

Barnard, by virtue of being a women’s college, is more sensitive to issues of privilege and marginalization. Time and time again, I have realized that professors at Barnard (and I speak only from personal experience here) are more likely to focus on “the other” and, for me, that makes a stronger class. Between the priorities of Barnard professors and the incredible intelligence and passion of every student here, I have learned more at Barnard  than I think I would have learned at another school.

Recently, a prospective Barnard student messaged me on Facebook with some questions about the school. At the end of her message, she apologized for asking so many questions in her message. My first thought was to tell her never to apologize for her questions again. And it was then that I realized what a special place Barnard was. With the recent news about the confidence gap, the continued news about the wage gap, and the media’s annoying focus on the thigh gap, Barnard is a place for young women to learn that their stories are valid and that their voices must be heard. In my time at Barnard, I have become more outspoken, more confident in my ideas, and more convinced of my ability to change the world. And I guarantee you Barnard will do the same for you.

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment