Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bacchanal in a Nutshell


Every spring, a student-run organization at Columbia University holds a free concert on Low Steps called Bacchanal. It unites all four undergraduate schools (Columbia College, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, General Studies, and Barnard) and promotes a strong sense of school spirit. The concert is open to any Columbia affiliate and definitely allows students to release their stress right before the large wave of finals.

The fun starts hours before the concert when the Hindu Students Organization hosts a very colorful event called Holi (aka Festival of Colors), where students throw bags of colored powder at each other. On the morning of Bacchanal, students wake up early and get dressed in white clothing to participate in this ceremony. Even though Holi originates from a Hindu tradition, students of all faiths attend the event; in fact, Holi is known for its message of equality and community. As colored powder falls from above, students dance to loud music and have a fantastic time!

Students celebrating the Hindu tradition of Holi
After everyone washes the powder off in the shower, they walk over to the Low Steps to wait for the big event to begin. This year, the weather was perfect; the sun was beaming and there wasn’t a single cloud in the sky. The Steps got packed very fast as the opening acts, The Chainsmokers, Flaxo, California Love, and Novachord (all voted for by the students themselves), prepared to go on. The crowd went wild when the headliner, Grammy–award-winning Lupe Fiasco, finally made his way up on stage. People sang along to his songs while embracing the warmth of the sun.

A view of Low Steps from the stage. Taken from Lupe Fiasco's Facebook page.
As I was standing high up on the Steps, I couldn’t help but to beam a wide smile, as I felt proud to be part of a great community, which on that day stood together as one body. Although I was sad to hear Lupe Fiasco’s final song of the night, I knew I would always remember my first Bacchanal at Columbia University.

Sarah

Basking in the sun at Bacchanal
 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing!!! I liked this blog so much it's really awesome I liked your creativity your way. I have also gone through your other posts too and they are also very much appreciate able and I have got some sweet comments for them also now I'm just waiting for your next update to come as I like all your other posts... well I have also made a video of my art hope you go through it on my channel your feedback is important subscribe if you like. holi , happy holi , Bollywood 2017 , . hot deepika padukone

    ReplyDelete