Thursday, April 17, 2014

What does it mean to be "Pre-Med" at Barnard?

Me with my first ever scientific poster at an NIH symposium.
As exciting as it is to start college, I know that many of you are already thinking about your lives four years from now.  What kind of job do you want to have?  What graduate school do you want to attend?  Where do you want to travel?  While it is important to appreciate the moment you are in now, I totally understand the necessity of thinking forward. How can Barnard help get you where you want to go?

It’s important to keep in mind that where you think you’re going may not be where you end up.  I began college as an art history major, and while I loved my classes and professors and wouldn’t change my major for the world, I’m on a slightly different path now.  I will be starting medical school this August, and I want to talk to you all about the pre-med experience at Barnard, hopefully calm some of your fears, and answer any questions you may have about getting ready for medical school.  I’ll start with some common questions, but if you have more specific ones, or are concerned about something I’m not addressing, please feel free to post questions in the comments section below!

What does it mean to be “pre-med” at Barnard?

Barnard is a liberal arts school, and encourages students to study a wide variety of academic disciplines and not only prepare for a future career.  That’s why you can’t major in “pre-med” at Barnard, but instead are considered on the “pre-med track.” What’s wonderful about this is that you can major in anything you want - history, chemistry, dance, anthropology - and the pre-med advisors will help you plan your schedule so you can be sure to get all your requirements finished before you apply.

In my dorm room with my completed Art History thesis.
Is it difficult to balance pre-med classes and a non-science major?

Many students at Barnard (and everywhere - this is very common) plan to take a year off before starting medical school.  Having four years to finish a major and your pre-med requirements is very doable, and you can apply to medical school the summer following graduation.  Students who hope to apply the summer after junior year (to begin medical school immediately following graduation) may not have as much flexibility in their schedules, and may find it more difficult to major in a subject that doesn’t have overlapping requirements with the pre-medical coursework.  However, with careful planning it is still possible.

What’s different about being pre-med at Barnard?

I feel strongly that the best doctors (and therefore the best med school applicants) are people with a wide variety of experiences: social, academic, and extracurricular.  I don't think there is a cookie-cutter "best way" to get into medical school, and I was so lucky to go to Barnard because they embraced that philosophy as well.  I wanted to work in the biology labs and be an art history major.  Sure, Barnard said, no problem!  I wanted to spend my free time planning on-campus events and wasn’t even a member of the Barnard pre-medical society.  No big deal.  “Pre-med robots” are rare at Barnard.  All the students I knew who planned on going to medical school were interested in so many other things, and were participants in a huge array of activities, both on and off campus.  I really do think that if I had gone to any other school, it would have taken me many years of being unhappy in a curatorial position at a museum to realize my passion (or, let's be real, obsession) for genetics.  Because of the flexibility of Barnard's curriculum and the general encouragement on campus to just learn what you love, I am going to be a doctor (so crazy to think about!).

Questions about preparing for medical school at Barnard?  Ask away!

Melanie

My cat Harriet "helping" me study organic chemistry.

3 comments:

  1. What were your experiences with organic chemistry at Barnard? Is it really the monster everyone makes it out to be and do you have any recommendations for how to be best prepared? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Great question. Organic Chemistry is a doozy, but don't be too worried! I actually ending up loving ochem... I think a lot of what makes it intimidating is that it's very much a new subject for most people. Barnard's chemistry department is awesome, and the classes are small enough that you really get know your professor. If you need extra help, Barnard has a great network of academic support through the Dean of Studies' office. Professors' office hours are also a great way to get help. I didn't take ochem at Barnard (I took it during my post-bac year), but my recommendation would be to form a study group that you can work with regularly, and keep track of your questions to take to office hours. Plan to go weekly and try not to let things pile up. The course really builds on itself, so keeping up and working a little every day is key! And have fun with it! It's a fascinating subject, so just reminding yourself how much you love it (even if that's not always true) will keep it from being overwhelming. For now, prepare by relaxing, having fun, reading books for pleasure, and getting enough sleep. You'll be great!

      Delete
  2. International Medical Aid is a non-profit organization striving to improve access to medical and public health resources in the world’s impoverished areas. Basic healthcare is a universal human right, yet millions of individuals around the world lack access to even elemental medical and wellness services. International Medical Aid is a broad-based non-profit organization striving to improve access to medical and public health resources in the world’s most impoverished areas through fully staffed and strategically deployed mobile healthcare campaigns. Built on values of integrity, mutual respect and commitment to the communities we serve, International Medical Aid is pioneering the new standard for medical non-profits around the world. Here are avail overseas hospital volunteer , premed volunteering , predentistry experience , premed programs , prehealth experience , hospital volunteer work , pre-medical missions , volunteer abroad for med school , premed study abroad and nursing volunteer work.

    ReplyDelete