Monday, April 21, 2014

Hosting Admitted Students Last Weekend!

A group of admitted students that Lina brought to Vine,
a local Asian fusion restaurant
So last weekend, one of my suitemates, Lina, and I hosted two students for admitted students Open House weekend. I wasn’t able to go to admitted students weekend before I came to Barnard, so it was fun for me to experience some of the fun events that the Office of Admissions plans! Hosting admitted students was also a great excuse get milkshakes at Tom’s Diner (of Seinfeld fame and the restaurant which Barnard alumna, Suzanne Vega, wrote a song about!) with my first year roommate, Hayley, and the admitted student she was hosting.

Having just recently declared my major and pretty much set up the rest of my coursework (though I could technically still change it), it’s fun to talk about all the possibilities that lie ahead for you all as you begin your time at Barnard. Talking with prospective students over the weekend also reminded me how diverse the interests are of all the people I’ve met in my time at Barnard.  As the prospective Barnard students asked me about clubs or majors they were interested in, if I didn’t personally know much about it, I could almost immediately name someone who they could talk to about this or that.

After we all went to Tom’s, we came back to my dorm and distracted Lina from her problem set. To be honest, it is equally as important to find time for fun as it is to set aside time for work. Lina and I spent the night telling the prospective students about some of our favorite Barnard memories. If you didn’t have the chance to come to admitted students weekend (or even if you did!) feel free to ask me any questions in the comments or through email, so I can put off homework tonight too (:

Margeaux

No comments:

Post a Comment