Friday, April 18, 2014

Reacting to the Past



My class as a work of art.
In my first year, I created a suit of armor out of cardboard and tinfoil and wore it to class. In my sophomore year, I spent two hours one Saturday photoshopping the heads of people in one of my classes onto a famous painting. I made speeches advocating for the overthrow of democracy, the fight for women’s suffrage, and the need for reserved seats in India’s Parliament. In other words, I have taken Reacting to the Past. Twice.

My suit of "armor"
Reacting to the Past is one of Barnard’s most interesting classes. Each class focuses on two or three events from history, and in each one, students are assigned roles, either of real people from history, or composite characters. Students spend the next several weeks making speeches and scheming, trying to accomplish the goals their character was given in the beginning of the game. Each game is created around a turning point in history, like 1947 in India, or 1787 in America. Usually, the games follow what happened in history, but if someone is an especially good speaker, or does a lot of shady tricks behind the scenes, the course of history can change.

After winning the Paris Salon (but before my execution!)
Because I love history, arguing, and acting, Reacting is the perfect class for me, but you don’t have to love all those things to enjoy the class. Some people take it because they love history, some because they love to debate, and some because they really want to pretend to be Louis XVI for six weeks.

But my favorite thing about Reacting to the Past is the work people put into it. Like many classes at Barnard, Reacting inspires people to go above and beyond what is required. The class also fosters a spirit of community. I have become great friends with many people in my Reacting classes, even the girl who got me exiled from Athens! The lively discussions and small class size means that students have to get to know their classmates and the material, because you never know what question someone is going to throw at you. This community and intellectual challenge is part of the reason I came to Barnard, and I’m so lucky to have found a perfect class that reflects it.

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment