Friday, April 18, 2014

How to Choose a Club (or Ten)

When you first arrive at Barnard, it's a whirlwind of excitement. I know that in a school with so much to offer and so much to do, it can be hard to find your “thing.” But trust me, there are so many opportunities on campus that there is no way that you won't find something you are interested in.

Here at Barnard, we have many student groups that are involved in theater, a cappella, student publications, and even a cool radio station called WBAR. (A friend of mine has her own radio program at 8 AM!) There are many more clubs that are focused on certain subjects such as cultural groups, dance, and sports. We have our McIntosh Activities Council (McAC) that students can join in order to have a say in some of the activities that occur on campus.

So how do you choose a club at a place where there are so many options?

I had the same question when I got here. I got here and had no idea what to join. I didn't even get involved in many activities until second semester of my first year. But eventually I found the Barnard Organization of Soul Sisters (BOSS) and the Black Students’ Organization at Columbia. I am very interested in my culture so those were perfect fits for me. I also got involved with Barnard Babysitting, as I have always adored children. I found something I loved to do and made it my own. This year I got even more involved by applying to be a Barnard Student Admissions Representative (BSAR) and continuing to babysit. 

Barnard activities fair
What I realized is that when you come here there are so many things to do, but that does not mean they are all the right things for you to do. So what do you do? You find a club that is the perfect fit for you. If you are a writer then you should join a publication on campus, if you are a dancer then join one of the various dance groups here, or maybe you are really into French and want to join a French group at Barnard. Barnard is the place that you find yourself at, and a club can be an important stepping-stone for integrating oneself on campus. And remember, it can take time to find something you're interested in. Don't feel overwhelmed and think that you have to everything or nothing at all. When you get here, come to a club/activities fair and find your own niche! It will be worth it!

Marquita

No comments:

Post a Comment